Tuesday, July 1, 2008

My Wimbledon Experience

As mentioned in my previous post, it is a goal of mine to attend all four Grand Slam tournaments solast year I went to London for Wimbledon 2007. I have to be honest: as a spectator, Wimbledon was not as exciting as the US Open. First of all, it rained almost nonstop, so we actually did not get to see a whole lot of tennis. Second, there is something about the way the grounds are layed out that felt cramped. I love walking around the National Tennis Center at the US Open - the grounds are beautiful, spacious, and there are so many different food courts and vendor shops to visit. This is not the case at Wimbledon, so when the matches were delayed because of rain (which was often), there wasn't much to do. Another thing - Wimbledon has no night matches. I think this is a big miss. Not only do the spectators not get to see as much tennisbut there is something about going to a night match at the US Open that is electric. I know Wimbledon is all about old traditions, but the crowd and the whole event just seemed subdued. Maybe I am a biased New Yorker, but from a spectator-sport point of view, the US Open has Wimbledon beat.

1 comment:

JYR δΈ­ said...

I am planning to see the US open this year, is that too late to get ticket for the event? where do you suggest to purchase the ticket? thanks in advance.