Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Fort Washington Park Courts

In my quest to check out all the tennis courts in Manhattan, I took a trip up to Fort Washington Park. I heard there are some hard courts up there, just underneath the George Washington Bridge that not a lot of people know about. Indeed, when I was there one weekday, the courts were basically empty and no one was checking for a permit. Although I was under the impression one needed a NYC permit to play here, two players I asked while I was there claimed you do not. The problem with these 10 hardcourts is that, while it is probably easy to get on these courts, the court conditions were poor, at best. It looks like they have not been repaved in many years, and the lines were so faded that calling shots might be problematic, and the nets did not even have the center tape.

No comments: