Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Lower East Side Courts Under the Bridge

A few years ago I played tennis at the public courts on the East River. At the time, it was relatively easy to get on them (no one asked me for a permit), but the court conditions were very run down. I heard that these courts were redone so I went back recently to take a look. I found the 12 hardcourts were indeed redone and seemed to be in good shape. To play here, you do need a NYC tennis permit. Sign up takes place at the courts and I'm told the wait is usually an hour on weekends. During the week when I stopped by, most courts were empty so if you can play on weekdays that seems like your best bet. One downside: these courts are a little difficult to get to. The closest subway is the F to 2nd Avenue or Delancey Street, and then walk across the Delancey Street footbridge; the park is across the FDR Drive.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=East+Side+River+Park%2CNew+York%2CNY%2CLower+East+Side

No comments: